For this term, for our DLO we had to make something that would improve the environment around team five. Our team had five people, which were: Me, Eleni, Lynette, Swaimah, and Zaria. Our team started to plan our on paper what we thought we could make that could improve the area around team five. We wrote some ideas down and drew some designs on what possible things we could make. After we came up with the idea to make a shoe rack since the shoes outside of our class bay was so messy!
Before we started our “Make it work Project Research” we had to make a group name for ourselves, but none of us knew what would be a good name for us. I decided to just name us something I watched when I was younger and that was the five musketeers. We all agreed and got started on researching designs and materials for our shoe rack. We all did one slide each to efficiently finish and get started on our project though it was hard to find both materials and designs that didn’t cost much and wasn’t hard to design.
When we started our Make it work project, we also had started our inquiry diaries, What are those you ask? It’s in the name, more specific diary. So basically we wrote everyday we did inquiry into the diary and those would be our reflections of the day. We wrote what we did during the day, what we could improve on, what we learnt what we contributed to the group.
We had decided on our design on week 2 we decided that we wanted to do the same simple design that we had our bags in, in reference it looks like white wood and its smoothed with it looking like a cubbyholes (for our bags) we were the first group to get our wood, though we had gotten advice from one of the teachers that our design would be to much work for us and we wouldn’t have enough time to finish it.
We continued to work on a different and faster design and as we progressed we finished in week 6
We had one whole day of inquiry and I had so much to talk about in the diary, this is what I said,
Monday 6th of November
Today there are four of us, me, Eleni, Zaria and Lynette. This Monday, our shoe rack has changed multiple times and now the shoe will be hanging out sort of from the shoe rack, we have measured how the shoe will fit and the exact fit of the shoe. We decided on the type of shoe rack we are doing and we are now waiting on one of the teachers when they are done to give us a tool to screw it in together.
I helped with getting the wood and the small types of materials that we needed to get, just to measure the wood. Lynette helped with also getting the wood and measuring the wood as well with Zaria. We had to get one of the shoes from our cubbies where our bags go or the ones chucked on the ground and put it on our design to get the right measurements of our project.
We started to drill in the screws into the wood so it could stay attached, we found this difficult because if we didn’t put enough pressure the wood rises from the bottom platform which leads us to reverse the drill to drill the screw in once again.
Once we finished drilling in the screws we had our morning tea break and came back in, in the middle block we used this time wisely to start using the sandpaper to smooth out the edges of our shoe rack, and after that we took our shoe rack back inside to the street to start sketching on the wood, we had one wood plank each to do our different design.
I can’t draw properly so I did some easy shapes, or designs, we had to stop there because then after lunch we had to pack up I think or just have time for our diaries to fill in our entries since we were building most of the day and not on our Chromebooks.
Problems we had with this week were trying to find the exact measurements, trying to get the lines straight,drilling in the screws, trying to find designs we wanted to draw on the wood.
From today I learnt that working together helps the project get done faster rather than doing it by yourself because working alone with only two hands makes the project get built slower. I also learnt that talking or discussing what we are working on gets us all on the same page rather than some of us getting confused about what we are doing.
Our group had fun doing this as we have finished our project and just need to paint on it, as we may not have time to do it today.
In the end we did our reflections and we loved what we made, even when sometimes someone or some of the people in our group aren’t here during the days that we did inquiry. There was one day where we had our whole inquiry session cleaning up the paint we did outside. My highlight for this DLO was working as a team, and finishing the project to show at the end of our video, we also learnt some cool new things like drilling in screws and a lot more that you could find in the video, a low light I had from doing this DLO was having to find the exact measurements and material of wood to do our project. What I can take from this is that anything is possible if you put both your mind,effort and heart into it. Overall I enjoyed my last DLO of 2023, I won’t get to do something like this again for quite a while or probably at all. I loved that I got to enjoy every bit of the project along the way with the video. I hope you enjoy watching our last DLO for 2023!